Have finally arrived in dubai for the summer, and recently had to eliminate items from the wardrobe to prepare for the move to new york soon and into the compact closets of graduate residence. Have brought some summer clothes back to keep in the closet at home over here – so some time will be spent organizing the closet to create functional and pretty storage solutions. Do always find it difficult to rid of wardrobe pieces, so would like to share a few ideas to undertake closet clean out with a little more ease.
1. Create a list of closet staples and must-haves, and keep versatile pieces.
2. Mark three boxes and mark them ‘Keep,’ ‘Garbage’ and ‘Donate’.
3. Choose one area of the closet to begin and focus on, such as a shelf or the floor. Dividing it into manageable parts will make the task seem less daunting.
4. Evaluate each item you remove from the closet. And if you have not used a piece in the past 12 months, put it in the donations box.
5. Group similar colored garments and styles together and eliminate those that are too similar.
6. Consider the fit and quality of the garment.
7. Determine a time limit in order to work more efficiently.
8. Be stringent, and if an item requires second thought, put it in the donations box. Donating clothes to a church or charity for those who will use them more regularly and make a difference.
(images: s for burrs & berries)